Unteachable

Unteachable - Leah Raeder from http://pagetrotter.blogspot.com/2013/08/blog-tour-stop-unteachable.html
Blog Tour stop and excerpt available!!!

This book. Holy freaking HELL. First, I would like to give a standing O to Leah for having the lady balls to write this book. My favorite thing about it? The honesty. There are so many teacher/student books out there right now where the two characters are just so tormented by their forbidden love. So. Tormented. Excuse me, Romeo and Juliet, let’s be honest here. We’re all adults (or almost adults in this case) so why is it soooo hard to admit the truth that part of the attraction stems from the fact that it is, in fact, forbidden.

I do not buy, for one second, that the fact that he/she is older and a teacher (and vice versa he/she is younger and your student) does nothing to “rev your engine.” Readers are not stupid. So Leah? Ya, girl, you are kick ass for having both parties admit that part of what makes it so hot is the fact that it’s forbidden.

*Stepping down from soap box*

Moving on LOL. I have no idea why and maybe I am so far off base here, but the writing reminds me of Ray Bradbury (specifically Something Wicked…) and Salinger’s, Catcher and the Rye. Add some American Graffiti, Garden State, Perks of Being a Wallflower (the book), everything by John Hughes and literally every coming of age with some raw emotion and quirk and you’ve got this. The feel of it, the sound of it, the tone of the characters, the unbelievably raw emotion and fucked-upness just reminds me of these novels and movies. It just reads like a coming of age classic. This writer doesn’t write words, she writes prose. It’s so fucking beautiful, I’m lime green with envy.

Can we take a moment here and talk about Maise? Oh man, do I love this girl. She is a mess and I mean a huge, messy, mess. Want to know why I love her? She knows it. She realizes this about herself. She is the most aware character I’ve ever read about and at the same time as so much room to grow and learn about the world and herself that she’s literally brimming with potential, pain, and promise. (Liking the p’s). She steals the show whole-heartedly. She is one of my favorite characters of all time, hands the fudge down. She had me cracking up and near tears. I went through every emotion with her and empathized.

Evan is perfect for her in this story. He’s not only her academic teacher (warning: cheesiest of cheese up ahead) he teaches her about life. He teaches Maise to recognize her own worth. In fact, they teach each other. The age difference (12 yrs) was a little hard at first; I’ll be honest. But Maise’s frankness about it, as well as their connection with each other made it ok. I mean for gods sake, she references Lolita several times.

I literally could go on for days. This book blew me out of the water. I was really expecting something else and was surprised. It surpassed every expectation and it set the bar for all other New Adult novels. Jesus, woman, you are a force of nature. You just challenged an entire genre. I am telling y’all right now, read this book. If you’ve never read New Adult before, please start with this book. Take a chance, keep an open mind, and go with it. I cannot recommend this enough. *ARC received in exchange for an honest review!!*